Today we have 7664 available properties!
Click Here For Discounted Properties!
Pernik Province is a province in western Bulgaria, neighbouring Serbia. Its main city is Pernik, and the other municipalities are Breznik, Kovachevtsi, Radomir, Tran, and Zemen. Industry is of vital importance for the economy of the province. Pernik is the major manufacturing centre, one of the largest in the country with the "Stomana" steel complex; heavy machinery (mining and industrial equipment); building materials and textiles being the most important. There is an enormous plant for heavy machinery in Radomir which produces excavators and industrial equipment, but is currently not working with full capacity. The administrative town has a population of 91,883 (2006) and lies on both banks of the Struma River in the Pernik Valley between the Viskyar, Vitosha and Golo Bardo mountains. Originally a Thracian fortress in the 4th century BC, and later a Roman settlement, Pernik became part of the Bulgarian Empire in the early 9th century as an important fortress. The name Pernik is thought to have originated from that of Slavic god Perun with the Slavic placename suffix –nik (or –ik) added, and was first mentioned in the 9th century. The medieval town was a key Bulgarian stronghold during Bulgarian tsar Samuil's wars against the Byzantine Empire in the 11th century, when it was governed by the local noble Krakra of Pernik, withstanding Byzantine sieges a number of times. The city was occupied by Stefan Nemanja, who was Grand Prince of Raska between 1190-1191. From 1396 until 1878 the district was under Ottoman rule. Until after the Liberation of Bulgaria Pernik was a small stockbreeding village, consisting of several scattered hamlets. In the 20th century Pernik developed rapidly as a centre for coal mining and heavy industry. During the Communist rule of Bulgaria it was called Dimitrovo between 1949 and 1962 after Bulgarian Communist leader Georgi Dimitrov. As the first miners' quarters were built on the terraces of the Struma River, the beginning of the miners' settlement of Pernik was set, one kilometre to the east of the village of the same name. It is a town since 1929, and since 1958 — a regional centre. The coal output reached its apogee at that time. Pernik has been an energy centre of Bulgaria for a few decades.