Silistra Province is a province of Bulgaria, known for its pelicans and apricot brandy. Silistra region is a traditionally agricultural province, mainly because of its fertile soil. Besides the administrative centre Silistra, other municipalities are Alfatar, Dulovo, Glavinitsa, Kaynardzha, Sitovo, and Tutrakan. The district borders with the regions of Rousse, Razgrad, Shoumen and Dobrich. To the north it borders with Romania. The town of Silistra is a port city, the last port along the Danube river.
Initially, the Romans built a fortress in 29 AD on the site of an earlier Celtic settlement and kept its name, Durostorum (or Dorostorum). It became an important military centre of Misia and grew into a city at the time of Marcus Aurelius. In 388, Durostorum became the seat of a Christian bishopric and a centre of Christianity in the region, and Roman general Flavius Aëtius was born in the town in 396. After the Roman Empire was split, the town became part of the Byzantine Empire. Later on, around the end of the 7th century, the town was incorporated in the First Bulgarian Empire and the bishop of Drastar was proclaimed the first patriarch of Bulgaria. In 976, Tsar Samuil restored Bulgarian rule in the region until 1001, when it was once again incorporated within the bounds of the Byzantine Empire. In 1186, after the Vlach-Bulgarian Rebellion, the town became part of the Second Bulgarian Empire until the Ottoman conquest of Bulgaria in 1396. During Ottoman rule, Silistra was part of Rumelia Province and was the administrative centre of the Silistra sanjak. This sanjak was later upgraded to become the Silistra Province that stretched over most of the western Black Sea littoral. The town was captured by Russian forces numerous times during several Russo-Turkish Wars. In 1878, following the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878, Silistra was liberated and became part of the Kingdom of Bulgaria.
In May 1913, after unsuccessful Bulgarian-Romanian negotiations in London, the two countries accepted the mediation of the Great Powers, who awarded Silistra and the area in a 3 km radius around it to Romania at the Saint Petersburg Conference. Following the Second Balkan War, the Treaty of Bucharest (1913) granted Silistra and the whole of Southern Dobruja to Romania. The town and the adjacent area has been part of Bulgaria, ever since the Paris Peace Treaties were signed in 1947.